Sunday, January 27, 2013

Australian Poetry LTD strikes back:Poetry to enter schools!


The latest news from Australian Poetry LTD,  announcing amongst a host of other, no doubt valuable initiatives:           
Mentorships – A new range of mentorships will be offered to provide one-on-one guidance for serious poets.
School workshops – A range of workshops for both students and teachers will bring poetry into schools.

I stopped at "serious poets". Like the term "emerging writer" it makes me laugh, but then I suspect that means I'm not a serious poet, but I was truly bedazzled by the thought that Australian Poetry LTD,  in its evangelical zeal,  is about to "bring poetry into schools".

This may come as a surprise to most English teachers and their students who were under the (obviously misguided) impression it was already there? 

No comments: